Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Salt and Pepper Walnuts

A couple of weeks ago, we had some company over for dessert, and I tried out this recipe for Salt and Pepper Walnuts on them. It comes from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison.

I served it alongside a cheese platter, dried fruit, grapes, sliced apples and pears, and an apple crisp. The walnuts were a definite hit.

Although I served it with dessert, I think it would be a great appetizer or snack, too. The salt and pepper give the walnuts a bit of zip. Also, the walnuts are full of good fatty acids, so you don't have to feel guilty munching.

Salt and Pepper Walnuts

Ingredients:

1 cup walnut halves or pieces
1 tsp walnut oil
Sea salt and freshly ground white pepper (to taste)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Spread the nuts on a baking sheet and bake until they smell toasty (about 10 minutes.) Remove nuts from the oven and toss with the oil, salt and pepper.

Notes:
Although the recipe calls for walnut oil, I accidentally used almond or hazelnut oil on them. They were still yummy, though. If you don't have walnut oil, I imagine that a very light oil like grapeseed oil would work, too -- I just would want to choose an oil that's not too viscous and that complements the flavor of the nuts.

After tossing my nuts (now that just doesn't sound right, does it?), I spread them out on a piece of waxed paper until they cooled. I thought they might get moist if I just put them in a bowl.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...