Monday, April 4, 2011

Potatoes and Tomatoes with Fresh Coconut

Last week, I tried a new Indian recipe out of Madhur Jaffrey's World-of-the-East Vegetarian Cooking. I made a couple of changes to the recipe because I didn't want to use quite as much oil, and I was out of red wine vinegar. (Weird, because I always have at least five different kinds of vinegar in the cupboard.) My changes are in the recipe given below, but I've made note of what the original recipe called for in the notes.

Verdict: The baby and I liked it. It had a rich, tangy flavor. My husband thought the flavor was great, but he didn't like the texture of the coconut and picked around it. I guess I won't make it again for him, but I might make it if he goes on a business trip.

Potatoes and Tomatoes Cooked with Fresh Coconut

Ingredients:
3 medium-sized potatoes, cut into 3/4" dice
2 Tbsp coconut oil
6 cloves of garlic, minced
1 dried hot red pepper
1 tsp whole cumin seeds
1 1/2 cps freshly grated coconut
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp ground cumin
Approximately 16-20 oz can diced tomatoes (including juices)
2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp lemon juice

Directions
Heat the oil in a 3-quart pot over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and stir for about 5 seconds. Add the hot pepper and the whole cumin seeds. Stir until the garlic begins to brown, the pepper darkens, and the seeds begin to pop.

Lower the heat to medium and add the grated coconut. Stir for about 10-15 seconds.

Add the potatoes, ground cumin, tomatoes, salt and 1 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Turn heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 45 minutes (until potatoes are tender). Stir occasionally (about every 7-8 minutes).

Add the sugar and lemon. Stir again and cook uncovered for about a minute.

Notes: The original recipe called for 1/4 cup veg oil instead of coconut oil. It also called for 1 tsp red wine vinegar instead of lemon juice.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...