Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I'm on a Mission to Figure out this Dessert!

My husband brought a dessert from a Turkish restaurant home today. Actually, he thought it was baba ghanouj, but as you can see from the from the photo, it is anything but eggplant.

It's some sort of rice pudding with a hint of cinnamon and coconut. It's also garnished with chopped pistachios, coconut flakes, and streaks of cinnamon. It's really, really lovely -- not too sweet and very creamy and light. The baby and I are loving every bite.

I have all kinds of recipes for various Middle Eastern rice puddings. Some are flavored with rose water, others with lemon peel or vanilla. However, I can't find anything that accounts for this unusual color. Cocoa? It doesn't taste very chocolatey, though. Some sort of bean?

It's been awhile since a food has stumped me like this. It's kind of exciting really. I'm on a mission to figure this one out! One of these days, I hope to post a recipe for this dish.

Does anyone have any ideas what this is or how to make it?

--------------------

Updated 4/26/2011

I think I may have hit on the secret ingredient. This rice pudding doesn't taste so very different from other rice puddings. It's just the color that's unusual. I'm thinking that maybe they substituted black rice for part of the white rice... Just a thought.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...